I often get asked about the kinds of food I eat for recovery. I wrote about bone broth in a previous post.
This is one I had a lot of when I was back in Canberra after breaking my hand. While I couldn't do any contact work so my hand could heal, I was training pretty hard with a lot of fitness work in the altitude room.
We had already rented our house out so were staying with friends Richard and Mary. They have an ice cream maker so Em put it to good use making Dave Asprey's ice cream. It is so good! Definitely worth making if you have access to an ice cream maker - which I know not everyone does.
- 4 whole eggs
- 4 yolks (in addition to the whole eggs above)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 10 drops apple cider vinegar
- 100 grams (7 tbs) butter
- 100 grams (7tbs) coconut oil
- 50 grams (3tbs + 2tsp) MCT oil (important for consistency)
- 80 grams (5.5tbs) xylitol
- ~100 grams water or ice (just under 1/2 cup; add less than you think you need, then increase the amount).
- (optional) 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cacao powder
- Blend everything but the water/ice in blender. It takes a while to get the butter blended into perfect creaminess.
- Add water or ice and blend some more until well blended. Ideally, you want a yogurt-like consistency for creamy ice cream, or add more water for a firmer, icier texture
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and turn it on.